Thursday, October 27, 2011

Paper Distressing - Sanding

I know, I know. We're DAYS away from Hallowe'en and all the Betties are posting fantastical Hallowe'en crafts. Which are FABULOUS; I am in awe of my fellow Betties' creativity! And, honestly, looking forward to making some of these with my kiddo over the weekend!  Buuut...I'm not going to do a Hallowe'en-themed post.   

GASP!

I KNOW, I know. I'm horrible.

But I wanted to show you one of my most absolute FAVOURITE techniques. SANDING! It's a fabulous distressing technique aaaaaaand I use it all the time.

Before you get started you need to make sure your cardstock has a white core. You can tell by looking at the edge - if there's white, you're good to go.
 Not all cardstocks have this absolutely FANTASTIC perk, though, so be mindful of it when you're at the stores.

white core cardstock
Then, obviously, you need some sandpaper.  (I use the three fabulous grains from Close To My Heart's sanding kit; love it).

dunno why this uploaded upside down... whoops! But 220, 100, and 60 grain papers
Coarse, medium, and fine... all well loved!
Also, you'll need to work on a surface you're not overly fond of, and I DEFINITELY recommend scratch paper to protect whatever surface you are on.
Base of my card, ready to go!
For this, I used my COARSE (60) paper.  And then I've sanded applying pressure in only one direction - it gives a sort of lined/striped look...

Once finished THAT, go back across the other way, to make a thatched pattern.

Now, I'm all about efficiency (read: LAZY), so for this card, I'm only sanding two of the edges, 'cause that's all that's going to show. 

Okay, next, I'm sanding this fabulous buttercup circle, and I'm going to use my FINE (220) paper - this will make a much softer look, and actually makes the paper super smooth to the touch.
There's no real which-way to sand this - make circles, do lines back and forth, whatever.

I focused a bit more around the edges to soften up the shape. Resulting in:
voila!
And here's the finished card!  Sanded edges, softened yellow... I love sanding!
(Card pattern from Wishes: Card Confidence Program "Keep it Level")

Here are some other examples of straight sanding techniques I've done: 
Using medium (100) all over the card.
(Card pattern from Wishes, "Lucky Layers")
Coarse sanding just the edges...
(Card pattern from Wishes, "Collage")
...results in this fabulous look!

Sanding the base-pages and photo mats around the edges with fine grain, coarse-grain hatching on accent pieces, and finally light sanding with coarse paper around the edges of the pictures themselves.
The result being some extra depth and dimension to this adorable page (layout from Cherish but I can't tell you which one 'cause I sold my copy and haven't got a new one yet! At least my kid's cute, right?)

And that, my friends, is that! A brief introduction to your next favourite technique! I'll expand on it in another post - you can do some seriously fun stuff with an embossing stylus, paperclips, shapes, and your sanding kit, but for now get a feel for it, fall in love, and happy crafting!

Cheers!
*Red

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Can't wait to try this, though I think you might do a better job than I could... do you want to make my Christmas Cards for me this year? I only need 75. :)

    ReplyDelete