Thursday, March 15, 2012

Super Mario Cake

I have a very dear friend who is also a gamer. So with his birthday in mind I made him a Super Mario Bros. cake. Thought I would share my results with you here.


First I tinted all my fondant. Then I rolled out the blue for the sky. One thing to keep in mind when using fondant is to not roll it too thin...it will tear. As well, when trying to smooth the sides work your way around the cake an inch or so at a time and continually lift the skirt of the fondant to prevent getting wrinkles.



Then I started to add the details. I apologize that I don't have more pictures of the steps I took. Keep in mind things like perspective when layering shapes onto a cake. I did the background hills and clouds first and then added in the other elements.


Everyone thinks you need to have a lot of fancy tools do do this sort of thing but you can use common kitchen tools like scissors and a pizza cutter, knives--all sorts of things to make what you want. Also remember that the internet is your friend and if you are unsure of how something should look then take advantage of it. I added all the little elements like bricks, warp zone tunnels, piranha plants, a goomba, coins, a mushroom to grow, a star to go fast. There were actually more elements than there was room on the cake! Here is the finished product! I'd love to know what you think and if you have any questions I'd love to answer them for you!



1 comment: