Thursday, June 21, 2012

DIY Batman T-Shirt

I'm SO EXCITED to share today's craft with you! I saw the idea on Pinterest originally the other day aaand have been flipping out GIDDY waiting to do it myself. hahaha 'Cause I'm an uber nerd like that. And I used cardstock, so it totally falls under my paper-crafting expertise area! ;-)

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BATMAN T-SHIRT! BOOyah!!

What you need:
  • a solid-colour t-shirt (white won't work, silly!) - I got ours at Wal-Mart for $4-$9 (I think Mr. Man's was the pricey one - oy!)
  • a spray bottle of bleach (STRAIGHT bleach; don't dilute it)
  • the Batman sign (which you have to cut out, so scissors, of course)
  • and if you're cooler than me maybe some spray-adhesive to help hold the paper to the shirt while you work...especially if it's as windy for you as it was for me!
So I was GOING to draw the symbol and cut it out, 'cause I totally mastered that skill at Hallowe'en when I carved a Batman pumpkin (it was awesome, if I do say so myself...and I totally do!) but wanted to just verify something aaaaand realized in the Googling that I could just print the thing off and save myself the angst of the drawing.... duh!
I got the Batman image from Google search: "how to draw batman symbol" which brought up the image from http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/3751/1/1/how-to-draw-batman-logo.htm  You can get this logo pasted into a PDF for printing here)
Then, obviously I think, I cut it out. I should have used my craft scissors, but being lazy and the weather ridICulously hot today (aiding my laziness take over) so I just used the kitchen scissors. O:-)
Did you know when you cut shapes, especially round ones, that it works best to move the paper and NOT the scissors?  Try it next time you're cutting out a circle; just hold the scissors steady and move the paper along the line you're cutting. It's the secret to a lump-free round cut!
Batman's all cut out and ready to go!
Then I went outside and laid my shirt out flat, and put the paper pieces down on the shirt.
Placed on the t-shirt.
ALMOST READY!
....then I pulled the greatest face EVER...
Dang it! There was quite the gust of wind... I think this is why the original suggested using spray adhesive to help hold her letters on... silly short-cutting!
Then the spraying began!  The idea is to spritz above the shirt and let the bleach sort of float down onto the shirt.
Waiting for it to dry a little before moving it...see how much lighter the shirt is already?
Next shirt!
Spray up above the shirt and let it fall down
like this!
Then remove the paper and voila!!
Ta da!  ...except you can see on the bottom right where I slightly didn't spray UP and got a wee bit under the paper... O:-)
 Because I sprayed our shirts SO much (to make the symbol stand out oodles) I sprayed the backs, too.  A bit lighter, though, 'cause I wasn't screening anything on that side. Just so it wasn't funny looking. 
The coolest family of Batman shirts EVAH! SO excited to wear these!
Once they're dry you're supposed to be able to wear them and go...but I don't like my clothes reeking of bleach, so I ran them quickly through a short wash first.

Isn't that GREAT?! I'm SO IN LOVE! And, obviously, you can do ANYTHING! The pin that I got this from was of the kids' names on the shirt and the blogger had tried a cross that she then added jewels to - it was very pretty!  The sky is the limit, folks! Make yourself something fabulous!

I'm going to go watch Batman.

3 comments:

  1. VERY cute!!!! the possibilities are endless....now much fun is that?!?!
    I'm thinking that I'm going to run over to hobby lobby, get some t-shirts and make something fun like that for independance day ---THANK YOU for such a spectacular idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamie! Post pictures on the Facebook page so we can see what you do! :-) It's SO EASY and so fabulous aaaand not going to lie, my whole family has had OODLES of compliments on our shirts the last few days. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! This will be greatly helpful. Thanks for sharing such a nice blog.
    Batman T Shirt

    ReplyDelete