Monday, November 7, 2011

Customize Your Own Super Hero Face Masks

This year for his birthday my oldest son wanted a super-hero theme birthday party. He wanted to fly, fight bad guys and eat lots of cake. Like any good mom, you want your child's birthday to be a special event, and so you begin thinking, "How can I help my son feel like a super hero?".



This post is all about FACE MASKS.

To be honest, when I planned the super-hero theme birthday party, I knew I wanted each child to have a cape (I'll save this for another post) and a face mask. I didn't think it would be difficult to find red capes or blue super-hero face masks either.

I was so wrong.

After searching for two weeks, I, like many of you, decided it would be easier to make my own than to continue the search of the perfect super-hero theme face mask. Here is how mine came to be:

Craft Ingredients:
Black Zoro Theme Face Masks (found at Zurcher's)
Elmer's White Glue, Watered Down
(1) Foam Brush
(1) Small Plastic Container
Glitter of Any Color (seen here in BLUE)
Craft Paper (Keep the work space clean!)
and (2) Paper Plates

Craft Directions:

1. Prep Work: Open your face mask package and get your masks in an assembly-line. Then, layout your craft paper and two paper plates to protect the surface you will work on. Next, make your own glue/ adhesive mix in a small plastic container. The recipe for the mixture is: Two Parts Elmer's Glue to One Part Water. Use foam brush to stir the water & glue together until the mixture is a milky-color. Lastly, open your glitter container.

2. Glitterize your Face Masks: Using foam brush, baste one face mask with glue-mixture while holding on to the sides of the mask. If there is a nose covering (as seen in the my photos), be sure to cover the tip of the nose very well. Then, place the one mask onto one paper plate. Next, sprinkle the face mask with glitter color of your choice until it is completely covered. Lift face mask of plate and shake off excess glitter. You will see at this time if you need to apply additional glue-mixture or glitter to any uncovered part of the face mask. Lastly, if mask is complete, lie mask down on craft paper to dry.

Repeat process for the next mask using the second paper plate to catch the glitter (keep your space clean!) and sprinkle the excess glitter from the previous face mask left on the first paper plate.

3. Let DRY and SET for at least two hours. I recommend overnight, just to be sure.

4. Have fun! Your Customized Super Hero Face Masks are done!

No comments:

Post a Comment