Monday, January 9, 2012

DIY Restoration Hardware Mercury Glass Short Table Lamp

19th C. Vintage Mercury Glass Lamp from Restoration Hardware
Mercury glass was first created during the mid- 19th century for those who could not afford Sterling Silver. Known as "poor man's silver" for its inexpensive artistic value, mercury glass was made more for display purposes and not for utilitarian uses, like tableware.

Mercury glass has reemerged as a popular home decor item over the last few years by companies like Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma and Restoration Hardware. My inspiration today comes from a Vintage Short Table Lamp sold at Restoration Hardware for $225 (not counting the $25- $100 lamp shade). Never being one willing to pay even 50% of retail pricing, I've done the research to learn how to make this at home for a very small fraction of the price. I suppose one can say my "poor man's silver" is really cheap!

Many DIY-ers out there (including Martha Stewart) will say that a DIY-er should 1.) spray water on the interior of a glass vase and then, before the water dries, 2.) spray Krylon Looking Glass Mirror Spray Paint (found at hardware store for $3.98) over the water droplets on the interior of the vase. Though this does mimic the look of mercury glass, I found the vase looks "new" and not "vintage". To recreate the Restoration Hardware inspiration lamp, I would need to spend time chipping/ flaking the paint off to give it the worn look I wanted.

After trial and error, here is what I found that worked, and you tell me if you think the look is similar:


Craft Ingredients:

Glass Vase/ Hurricane from Thrift Store (upcycle/ recycle if you can!!)
Silver Leaf Adhesive
Sand Paper (optional)
Spray-On Leaf Sealer
Krylon Looking Glass Mirror Spray Paint (was still useful!)
Lighting Kit (hardware store)
Drum Lamp Shade of your choice (any store)

Craft Instructions:


1.) Clean your hurricane or vase thoroughly with warm soapy water and allow plenty of time to air dry.

2.) Cover the inner surface of vase with Silver Leaf Adhesive. Let it sit for 10- 15 minutes.

3.) Apply rub-on silver leaf sheets in patches to the glass, making sure to leave plenty of uncovered areas for a vintage, flaky look.

4.) Optional Step: For a more "roughed up" look, use sand paper and strategically scratch off some of the silver leaf.

5.) When silver leaf looks they way you want it, then coat the inner surface with spray-on leaf sealer. Allow to dry for 30 minutes.
 
Step 6. Allow to Dry.


6.) Lastly, spray 2 or 3 light coats of Krylon Looking Glass Mirror Paint over the silver leafing to smooth out the mercury glass look. Allow to dry over night.

7.) Assemble lighting kit following manufacture's directions and insert into dry vase.
Step 8. Assemble Lamp.

8.) Apply shade and add light bulb to your inserted light kit/ vase and viola! You have a new custom made lamp!

When I added the receipt totals together for this project, I spent about $32 instead of the Restoration Hardware Mercury Lamp price of $225 + shade. Why pay $250- $325 for a chic lamp if it can be made for pennies of the actual price?
My Mercury Lamp: 1/10 the price of the inspirational lamp.

I LOVE the lamp but want to know what YOU think! Please comment on anything... mimic; technique; difficulty; other projects you suggest to create using mercury glass; etc.


Thanks for reading and happy DIYing! :) Kristen

4 comments:

  1. This is super cool, but the shape of your vase coupled with your instructions confuse me - is the vase clear and then you're doing all these fancy things to the INSIDE of it? How do you, for example, sand down in there??

    I love it, though - I'm sitting in my living room looking to see where I could put one! hahaha Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this was a basic clear vase I found for $1 at a thrift store. I had to make THREE different vases to perfect the directions above, so I'm sorry that they aren't very clear, but yes, everything is done on the inside of the vase.

    And yes, the sand papering of this vase was a beast... I had to wrap sandpaper around a Popsicle stick then push it down into the mouth of the vase (don't let go!) and rub it around. To be honest, the sandpapering technique was much easier with a wide-mouth vase.

    Despite the struggles I had learning/ discovering my own techniques to make Mercury Glass, I loved making this vase and then turning it into a lamp.

    Lovely, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the instructions were as confusing as they were unbelievable... hahaha I'm in awe that you managed to do all that fabulous work to get such a fabulous look out of such a skinny-necked vase! I LOVE it!!

    Thanks for clarifying, though. This one will be a blast to try if I ever get around to trying stuff.... O:-) hahaha Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

  4. mercury vases
    Hi, This is a good post, indeed a great job. You must have done good research for the work, i appreciate your efforts.. Looking for more updates from your side. Thanks

    ReplyDelete