Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Perfect Swirl

Cupcake stores it seems are all the rage these days. They have wonderful interesting flavours and they look like perfection. The problem is that at at least $2.50 per cupcake it can get a little steep when you have a lot of people to feed. So today I thought I would answer another question I frequently get asked: How do you get that swirl on the top of the cupcake? I have to say.....it's far easier than you can imagine and the results are fantastic.

Supplies:
Cupcakes
Your favourite buttercream icing (make a nice big batch...it takes a lot of icing)
Piping Bag (the bigger the better)
a 1M Tip (this is whats gonna do the magic)

Now I highly suggest using buttercream for this vs other icings. Buttercream holds its shape better whereas a cream cheese icing (for example) is more likely to look like its melting on you.

You take you tip and drop it into your piping bag. It is a bigger tip than normal and no coupler and ring are required. Then you fill your icing bag.

Hold your piping bag at a 90 degree angle and about a 1/4" away from the cupcake. Start moving around the cupcake in a spiral motion starting from the outside and working your way to the center of the cupcake. Be careful to not leave gaps. Once you have reached the center stop pressure and pull the tip away. Feel free to top with any sort of small decoration if desired.







And there you have it. Easy peasy and you have professional looking cupcakes! Enjoy

my first cupcake...it really is that simple!

(technique photos courtesy of Wilton.com)

1 comment:

  1. Bah! I tried to figure this out on my own for my kiddo's birthday last year...and ended up just smearing icing on with a knife - I gave up! NOW that I have a list of what the heck tools I need maybe this year will go better!! hahaha Thanks, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete